Monday, July 09, 2007

Music teacher

I'm taking a break from studying for an assignment for my online class.

I spent some time this afternoon processing with Dawn about what being a music teacher could be like. I often wonder:
  • What kind of band director will I be?
  • How will I treat the students?
  • Will they think I'm funny?
  • Will they think I am really uncool?
  • Is it possible to have the kind of instrumental music program that I'm hoping for or will I lose my sense of idealism after a couple of years?
  • Can I be a better band director than the one I had in high school?
  • Am I going to have time for family and church activities, or will I end up working my butt off and get burned out?
  • Will it take me a while to get over looking stupid in front of a crowd?
  • Do I have the confidence that it takes to teach?
  • Will this be a career that I stick with for decades or will I only last a couple of years? The odds are not in my favor.
  • Am I organized enough to do this job or will I fumble my way through and pray that students get something out of it?
I guess mostly I'm wondering, "do I have what it takes?" I will never know until I give it a shot. Most of my friends who have been in band or know anything about music think that I would do a really great job, and I don't necessarily think they are wrong. I'm starting to become eager at the chance to get in front of a classroom and really put to work all of my ideas. I have no doubt that it is much harder than it looks and it will be a while before I'm comfortable in the role.
Here are my predictions so far:
  • What kind of band director will I be? Probably a lot like my high school band director, Mr. Cruse (pictured right), but less hard-working and perfectionistic about some things. Hopefully, I'll live a more well-rounded life than he. Mr. Cruse didn't have a wife or family and often spent 60-80 hours working per week.
  • How will I treat the students? I will probably treat them with lots of respect and will try never to yell, shame, or guilt them into cooperation. The worst I imagine being towards them is a little passive-aggressive and unclear about my intentions.
  • Will they think I'm funny? Sometimes.
  • Will they think I am really uncool? Yes, but maybe that won't matter.
  • Is it possible to have the kind of instrumental music program that I'm hoping for or will I loose my sense of idealism after a couple of years? A. I'm sure its possible, but I might lose some of my idealism. But, hey, a guy's gotta have goals, yes?
  • Can I be a better band director than the one I had in high school? I think so.
  • Am I going to have time for family and church activities, or will I end up working my butt off and get burned out? I think both might happen sometime in my career. The danger is making teaching an idol in my life. We'll have to see about this one.
  • Will it take me a while to get over looking stupid in front of a crowd? Most definitely, but its good for me.
  • Do I have the confidence that it takes to teach? Yes, I have a great education and lots of support.
  • Will this be a career that I stick with for decades or will I only last a couple of years? The odds are not in my favor. I think that if the organization and time factors don't overwhelm me in the first couple of years, than I can imagine sticking with it for a long time.
  • Am I organized enough to do this job or will I fumble my way through and pray that students get something out of it? Not sure.
I know God's got things under control in this area. The prospect of being a teacher is becoming more and more real, however, so my need to trust him is also more real these days. Thanks for reading. Time to go back to working on my assignment.

No comments: