In reference to last night's post, the reason I was so amazed at Microsoft's achievement is that I used to be quite addicted to video games. Or more specifically, computer games. I started playing computer games at a young age on my dad's computer. I started out with a turned-based StarTrek game, followed by Tetris, Wings of Fury, and Commander Keen. Somewhere in there I played Sonic the Hedgehog on a Sega Game Gear, but the game that I was most addicted to for a long time was SimCity 2000. Then it was SimTower, SimFarm, SimCity 3000, etc. etc. There were many more games I played for hours and hours per day.
In 2005, I spent the entire summer working 14 hours per week for the residence halls at college and playing computer games for nearly the rest of it. I played Freelancer and EVE Online 5-9 hours per day. These games were science fiction based, MMORPG space simulators. MMORPG stands for Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. I played online with thousands of other players from all over the world, where I could chat with them and create my own complex reality inside the game.
None of it amounted to anything but some entertainment that helped pass the time. I remember sitting in that chair for hours being completely numbed and absorbed in the gaming experience. When I finally quit out of a game, my mind was totally numb and all desire had left me. I didn't feel like talking to others, eating, or using the bathroom, and much less like practicing my clarinet, cleaning my room, or doing anything constructive.
I kicked my addiction when Dawn and I got engaged in April 2006 . I am still tempted to fall back into that lifestyle, but there are too many things that matter to me more than games, especially Dawn. As amazing, interesting, and complex of a reality that computer games can offer, they will never be as real or fulfilling as the one God created for me. It was much harder to pursue that reality when computer games had created a conflicting one.
My advice to addicted gainers? Get out. Go cold turkey. Try to fill the void with something constructive and creative. Try to pick up on relationships that have gone out of contact. Start a blog, take up a cheap hobby, read, do something that will not numb your mind. Are some types of games better than others? Yes. Really simple, winnable single-player games and multiplayer games that depend on lots of player chatting are better than drawn-out, single player games. Even though contact with other players is good, the relationship established by this is still extremely superficial. They can not satisfy as well as real-life relationships can.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Friday, January 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Good stuff, Justin!
Post a Comment