Forward: I cut off my beard last week. I couldn't decide if I looked younger or just fatter. Don't worry, though, it's back in full force already.I started to write about the differences that I could tell between my experiences in Colorado and those in Texas so far. I stopped short because I realized that (a) I didn't have enough experience here to really make fair judgments (b) any negative judgments that I would make about Texas would be due to the fact that I miss home, and (c) because I wouldn't be getting to the root of my heart on any of those matters.
The big news lately is that we are now full covenant members of The Village Church of Highland Village, TX. This is as surprising to Dawn and I as it is to you. The process was actually easier than I expected: we signed up for the membership classes, had one Saturday morning and three Wednesday night classes, had Dawn baptized (a very cool but nerve-racking experience for her), and we were in! We were already members of a homegroup, which was also a requirement.
This has been a huge answer to prayer for us because we had experienced some disillusionment with America's modern churches which were either growth oriented, fragmented, superficial, ADHD-friendly entertainment centers that were trying to be relevant in today's culture OR mission-based, manipulative, invulnerable, gospel-selling crusaders for Christ who were trying to be relevant in today's culture. Dawn and I both left these institutions hurt and confused about how it is that the body of Christ could look like that. When we arrived in Texas, we didn't expect to find a church that we'd want to attend for a long time.
The Village was the first church we visited here in Texas. It is technically a mega church, with over 3000 in attendance on the weekends. The lead pastor, who I think is only 34 years old, is an enthusiastic, raw, authentic, grace-of-the-Gospel teacher who is critical of the modern American church and believes that the Gospel is not to be sold, legislated, or wrapped up into easy steps for life transformation. Instead, He believes that the success of a church is not to be measured in numbers or in fame or in relevance to popular culture, but in its authentic community, involvement, and service to the needy. Dawn was baptized by the membership pastor - this guy just has a really warm, inviting heart that he bears often. He is gifted with an incredible memory and remembered our names from the first day he met us. His teaching is also really solid and he mostly makes this church seem much smaller and more connected.
We found a homegroup of young married couples and have gotten to know the leaders, Shane and Ashley (yes, Shane is attempting to chew on Ashley's head), who have been really great friends. They call us, want to hang out with us, and are interested in our lives. They've even come to both of my Symphonic Band concerts so far. This was something that we struggled to find from our friends in the past. Its been a huge answer to prayer and a healing process for Dawn and I over the past three months.

2 comments:
Very cool!!
Now if I could just find a church!
Happy Birthday, Justin. I well remember the first one and hope this year will be the best one yet.
Kerry
Post a Comment